The course entitled Entrepreneurship Development and Communication Skills has been introduced in the course curriculum of agricultural universities in India on the recommendation of Fourth Deans Committee. The book contains important aspects of Entrepreneurship Development and required communication skills leading to building the required capability of entrepreneurs in the learner. This book is planned to serve as a textbook at undergraduate level for students of agriculture and allied subjects such as horticulture, home science, animal sciences, etc. This could also be used as reference book by students at postgraduate level in agricultural universities in particular and non-agricultural universities in general. Further, it may act as a guide to functional entrepreneurs to inculcate in them the good qualities required for successful entrepreneurship.
1. Entrepreneur – Meaning and definition of entrepreneur, Meaning and definition of entrepreneurship, Characteristics of an entrepreneur, Role demands of entrepreneurs, Identifying potential entrepreneurs, Job competencies of entrepreneurs.
2. Entrepreneurship Development – Process of entrepreneurship development at community level, Process of entrepreneurship development at individual level, Stages in entrepreneurial growth process, Need of entrepreneurship.
3. Motivation and Entrepreneurship Development – Meaning and definition of motivation, Importance of motivation, Process of motivation, Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs, Implication of motivation for management, Implications of motivation for marketing, Motivating factors for entrepreneurship development, Management of an enterprise, Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation and follow up, Managing Competition.
4. Entrepreneurial Behaviour – Concept, Factors affecting the entrepreneurial behaviour of the farmers, Factors affecting entrepreneurship, Innovations and entrepreneurs.
5. Government Policy and Programmes for Entrepreneurship Development –Government policy for SSI, Institutional support to entrepreneurship development, National level institutions, State level institutions, Fund-based institutions.
Entrepreneurship Development Programmes - Meaning and definition, Objectives, Importance
6. Setting up of a Small Enterprise – Steps in setting up a small industrial enterprise, Phases of entrepreneurial venture.
7. Selection of Product – Micro-screening for selection of products or services, Process of new product development.
8. SWOT Analysis and Market Survey – Meaning and concept of SWOT, Examples of SWOT analysis.
9. Formulation and Financial Analysis of Project – Concept, Content of project report. Cost of project and means of finance, Cost of production, Financial projections, financial analysis.
10. Marketing and Advertising of Product – Concept of Marketing, Market assessment, Elements of the marketing mix.
Advertising– Meaning and definition of advertising, Need of advertising, Objectives of advertising, Functions of advertising, Types of advertising, Layout or forms of advertisement, Starting advertising campaign, Most common reasons for buying.
11. Agripreneurship and Indian Agricultural Processing Industry – Concept, Need of agripreneurship development, Government programmes for agribusiness, Agriculture industry in India, An Overview of Food processing industry in India, An overview of Indian dairy industry, An overview of fish processing industry in India, Status of Indian farm machinery industry, Changes in food processing technology.
12. Communication Skills – Meaning and definition of communication, Process of communication, Communication skills.
13. Writing Skills – Caution in writing a letter, Basic tips for writing a letter, Careful proofing of the letter, Types of letters, Business letter, Enquiry letter, Letter of offer, Order letter, Status inquiries and recommendations, Claims and adjustments letter.